Daily devotions

Thursday

It´s Thursday (27)



'At that time, Judah left his brothers and went down to stay with a man of Adullam named Hirah,' (Genesis 38:1). This is the beginning of a sordid tale. Like Reuben, Judah was distressed at the fact that his brothers wanted to kill their brother Joseph, (Gen 37:26,27). Maybe his disappointment with them was why he left. Whatever their faults, they were his brothers, but Judah chose to leave their company to make his home among the Canaanites.

Many a young person has left home with a desire to get away from family influence and do what they desire, to live a life that perhaps their family would be none too pleased with. The story of the prodigal son is but one example. Perhaps there are those reading this who recognise themselves? How many of us, I wonder, have had to come to God at some point and joined David in praying:-
'Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your great love remember me, for you are good, O Lord.' Psalm 25:7 ?

I know I have. Having initially responded positively to God when I was quite young, in my teenage years I rejected what the Lord desired for my life. A wasted my twenties when I could have been influencing my peers for him. Truth is, I rebelled. This resulted in a loss of the joy I once had and eventually, (unable to live the lie any more), leaving my church, The Salvation Army. I praise God that he would not give up pursuing me and, at 30 years of age, I surrendered to his persistent love and experienced his wonderful mercy and forgiveness. I also discovered that he still had a wonderful plan set out for my life.  

Judah made foolish choices that were to result in disastrous consequences. Having become friends and moved in with Hirah the Adullamite, he unwisely married a Canaanite woman, something his father Jacob would never have approved of. Many leave church, make their home elsewhere, and live lives so different to what God desired for them, through disappointment with church leaders or fellow worshippers. 'O Lord, please help us never to be the cause of such disappointment. Amen' God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment